Friday 13 April 2007

Note to All Game Developers

Here's another short one, published on the futile hope that any game developers will ever chance upon this blog. When people install your game, they like to do their own thing - make some tea, browse Youtube, have a wa... walk. They might like to listen to some music.

So don't make it so your damn faux-orchestra music plays in a fucking loop when the game - all three discs of it - is installing. I'm not mentioning a specific Rome: Total War here, this is just a general gripe.

And another thing that annoys me about some games - the credits button on the main menu. Who cares? I mean, really, who gives a toss? No one's going to watch these things and say "Oh, that annoying bit in level 5 in fourteen guys come out of nowhere and shoot at you, and there's no cover, and you have to try that part a hundred and fifty times - that was written by Chuck Yates." Or whoever. If there is a Chuck Yates out there, and he makes good games, I'm happy. But the A-Team never get credited when they save the day. Neither does Superman. Why should game developers get a credit, even though they help society in a far greater way?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to play Rome Total War. I dedicate my upcoming gaming to all the unsung heroes of programming, whose credit I never see. Even Chuck Yates... he was the greatest of all.

No comments: